Before your weight loss surgery, you may have a number of bariatric surgery questions. It is important before any surgery to clarify any remaining questions or concerns you may have about your procedure. You’ll want to ask your surgeon any of your bariatric surgery questions. The more information you have, the easier it will be for you to proceed with your surgery in confidence.
It may be beneficial to prepare a list of bariatric surgery questions for your surgeon before going into the office. Coming prepared will demonstrate that you are engaged in the processes and stages of your surgery, and are actively looking for information that will ensure success. Your bariatric surgeon will only play a small part in your overall weight loss success. Most of your success depends on you and the choices you make every day for wellness.
Here are a few questions to consider asking before weight loss surgery:
Examples of Professional Qualifiers:
- Are you a board-certified surgeon?
- What are the risks of the procedure and what is your surgeon’s personal percentage of success?
- How many weight loss procedures has your surgeon done in the past year?
- What are the drawbacks/advantages of the specific procedure you have chosen?
- How much and what kind of pre-op testing is done?
- Will your surgeon perform the surgery or will an assistant perform the surgery under the surgeon’s supervision?
It is also important to ask for tips for success before, during, and after a surgical weight-loss procedure. Anything you can do to improve the odds of success should be inquired about and explored.
Examples of Questions to Help Your Surgery Be A Success:
- Should you begin exercising before surgery?
- What is the approved diet plan for before surgery?
- Are there emotional triggers you should be aware of before surgery to prepare mentally?
- What other ways can you prepare mentally for surgery?
- What clothing should be waiting at home post-surgery for recovery?
- Will you receive a copy of the postoperative diet plan before surgery so they can go shopping and have food ready?
The lists above are just a few of the common bariatric surgery questions you may want to ask. The more you know about weight loss surgery, the more prepared you will be for journey that lies ahead and the greater your chance for weight loss success.
If you already have a list of bariatric surgery questions you would like to have answered call us at 256.840.5547 in Albertville or 256.571.8734 for Guntersville. You can also take a look at our ‘Bariatric Surgery Guide’ to answer some of your questions.